Sunday, March 14, 2010

PLUNGE WEEK 13 - Lessons from Israel (the man)

WEEK THIRTEEN
READINGS: Genesis 46 – Genesis 50

LESSONS FROM ISRAEL (the man)

As we finish our journey in the book of Genesis we see the story of Israel the man and his people come to an end and we embark on a new journey - that of Israel the Nation, God’s chosen people. Before we move on however, I couldn’t help but stop and reflect on all I have learned from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (Israel) the patriarch’s of God’s chosen people. Join me, if you will, in a little reflection on LESSONS FROM ISRAEL (the man):

LESSONS FROM ISRAEL (the man)
Genesis 46:1-3 “So Israel set out with all that was his, and when he reached Beersheba, he offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. And God spoke to Israel in a vision at night… "I am God, the God of your father," he said. "Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there. I will go down to Egypt with you, and I will surely bring you back again

LESSON ONE: Start every task (day) with sacrifice to, worship of, and direction from the One true God – following and trusting in His perfect way.
• Psalm 51:17
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
• Philippians 3:3
For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh
• Psalm 67:4
May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you rule the peoples justly and guide the nations of the earth. Selah

Genesis 47:4 &9 "We have come to sojourn in the land… The years of my pilgrimage are a hundred and thirty. My years have been few and difficult, and they do not equal the years of the pilgrimage of my fathers."

LESSON TWO: Remember, this is NOT our permanent home – don’t get to comfortable here. Be assured life is short and life is hard, but in the end, by God’s Grace and through Christ Jesus, we will overcome.
• John 15:19
If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
• John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
• Galatians 6:14
“May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”

Genesis 48:15-16 Then he blessed Joseph and said, "May the God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked, the God who has been my shepherd all my life to this day, the Angel who has delivered me from all harm—may he bless these boys. May they be called by my name and the names of my fathers Abraham and Isaac, and may they increase greatly upon the earth."
LESSON THREE: Leave a legacy of blessing – teach future generations about Jesus
• Deuteronomy 30:19
This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live
• Deuteronomy 11:19
“Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
• Psalm 89:1
I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.

Genesis 50:24 “Then Joseph said to his brothers, "I am about to die. But God will surely come to your aid and take you up out of this land to the land he promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."

LESSON FOUR: Finally, remain fixed and focused on the promises of God, in and through Christ Jesus – it’s our ONLY help and hope.
• Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
• Colossians 3:1-3
“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.”
• Philippians 3:10-14
“I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

Congratulations, we have read through the entire book of Genesis. One adventure behind us, more to come so don’t go away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment