Monday, March 22, 2010

PLUNGE March 21, 2010 - March 27, 2010 - THIS IS IT

WEEK FOURTEEN
March 21, 2010 – March 27. 2010
READINGS: Exodus 1 – 4:18

THIS IS IT!!

I recently watched Michael Jackson’s movie This is it. Through song, Michael tells of his heart for the world, the pain he feels when he sees the condition the world is in, and his belief that THIS IS IT – it is time to take action to change that condition. As I began reading through Exodus, I felt the same way - THIS IS IT. In these first 3 and half chapters of Exodus, through the story of Moses, God reveals His heart for us - His people, the pain He feels when He sees the bondage of sin we are in, and the action He took to deliver us. But, more than that, I believe this is also foreshadows God’s call to us – His children, to be His hands, feet, and voice to a hurting world.

THIS IS IT – THE CONDITION!!!
“The descendants of Jacob numbered seventy in all… the Israelites were fruitful and multiplied greatly and became exceedingly numerous, so that the land was filled with them…. But the more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and spread. Exodus 1: 5,7,12

Israel, God’s chosen nation, started with only 70 people. Then, about 300 years later, as God promised, they multiplied so greatly the land was filled with them. And the harder the Egyptians tried to stop them – even going so far as killing their boy babies – the more they grew. But there was a problem; the current Egyptian rulers didn’t know Joseph, they didn’t understand the agreement he had about Israelites and because of that, out of fear, they began to treat them unkindly. As a result, God’s people became stuck in slavery and bondage and couldn’t get themselves out.

THIS IS IT –GOD’S HEART
Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God. And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. God saw the people of Israel—and God knew…"I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them” Exodus 2:23-25 & 3:7-8

God’s people were in trouble and they needed help, so they cried out to the Lord. Notice how God responded: I HAVE SEEN their afflictions, I HAVE HEARD their cries, I KNOW their sufferings; I REMEMBER my covenant, I HAVE COME to deliver them. Those words speak volumes about God and His heart: his heart is filled with compassion for those in bondage; He’s present and attentive (one has to be in order to see and know what is going on); He’s faithful – never forgetting the promises He’s made, and He’s willing to take action to make it right.

THIS IS IT – GOD’S CALL
The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land…And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt. Exodus 3:7-10

God sent Moses to deliver the Israelites from their bondage of slavery and to bring them home to the land He had promised to them over 300 years ago. As God is speaking this call to Moses, I can almost hear Him speaking the same words to Jesus: “I have seen the affliction of my people, I have heard them crying out in their bondage, I know their suffering because of their sin, I remember the promise I made (Genesis 3:15), and I am sending You down to deliver them and bring them home.”

Moses’ story foreshadowed Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, our Lord and Savior, whom God sent down to deliver us from our bondage of sin so that through His death and resurrection we would be made right with God, and be able to come home. “These are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” John 20:31

THIS IS IT – OUR CALL
“Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.” John 20:21

Michael Jackson’s take on the world is not so far off – God’s world is in trouble (has been since sin entered). We have rulers and leaders that don’t remember God and we, Christians included, often don’t understand or fail to remember the place He has in this world and the authority He has over it.

THIS IS IT!! I believe Moses’ call foreshadows our call as Christians. God is telling us: “I have seen the affliction of my people, I have heard them crying out in their bondage, I know their suffering because of their sin, I remember the promise I made (Genesis 3:15), and I am sending You.” He wants our hearts to follow His heart – to see the afflictions, hear the cries of bondage, know the suffering, remember His promise, and take them to our leader – Jesus Christ.

Hark! the voice of Jesus calling “Who will go and work today? Fields are white and harvest waiting – who will bear the sheaves away?”

If you cannot speak like angels, if you cannot preach like Paul, you can tell the love of Jesus, you can say He died for all

Let none hear you idling saying, “there is nothing I can do…” while the multitudes are dying and the Master calls for you. Take the task He gives you gladly, let His work your pleasure be; answer quickly when He calls you HERE AM I SEND ME SEND ME!” (Lutheran Service Book Hymn 826)

Be a person after God’s own heart – be compassionate, be present and attentive to the needs of others, be faithful to His Word – never forgetting the promises He’s made, and be willing to take action. When God calls - be willing to say – here I am - send me, send me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment