Saturday, April 23, 2011

Walking with Jesus Week 20 - MIRACULOUS SIGNS

Walking with JESUS
Week 20

Readings: John 2, Deuteronomy 6, Hebrews 1-2, Psalm 103.

MIRACULOUS SIGNS
Jesus said: “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.” John 2:19

John 2 is all about Jesus’ miraculous signs and the effect it had on different people. The miraculous sign at the wedding in Canaan showed Jesus’ glory and led the disciples to trust Him more fully. Jewish leaders demanded miraculous signs to prove He had the authority to do what He did and it caused them to want to kill Him. The crowd saw His miraculous signs and put their faith in Him. But their faith would be short lived and that same crowd who clamored after Jesus’ miraculous signs was the same crowd who would one day shout: “CRUCIFY HIM,” when it came time for Him to die.

The children of Israel had the same problem – even though they saw the miraculous signs of the Red Sea and the destruction of the Egyptians, they still faltered. But Moses reminded them: “When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.” Deuteronomy 6:10-12

I often wonder why God’s people and the people in Jesus day needed to see those miraculous signs to put their trust in Him; couldn’t they see God’s power in their lives? Couldn’t they see who He was? But what about me, what does it take for me to fully and totally trust Jesus? Do I put more faith in Jesus when I can see, feel, touch, hear, or taste what He has done? What if, in my sinful self absorption I don’t see, or I can’t touch, hear, or taste what God has done for me - does my faith falter? Sadly, yes. But, Jesus is patient with me, He knows who I am, where I come from and that I am stricken with a sickness (sin) that limits my senses. And when I falter He turns my senses to the beauty of the world and reminds me it was HIS power that created it all. And He leads me to the miraculous signs of His resurrection, and reminds me that it was HIS power that brought the redemption and forgiveness that are mine through them. He then shows me the baptismal font where He reminds me it was His Spirit that gave me the faith to believe in Him.

So, the next time your faith falters and you find yourself demanding miraculous signs to prove Jesus’ power, authority, and presence in your life remember: “This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will. Hebrews 2:3-4. The world, the resurrection, and faith are the only miraculous signs we need.

Prayer: Praise the LORD, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all his benefits. Psalm 103:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment