Monday, June 1, 2009

PLUNGE READINGS FOR June 7, 2009

June 7, 2009

MIRACLE WONDERS AND SIGNS

“Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through Him, as you yourselves know.” Acts 2:22

As I began reading this week’s readings this verse literally shouted at me – PAY ATTENTION!! I imagine a great deal of it has to do with the fact that my mother survived a heart attack that has only a 2% survival rate. I imagine I am a little sensitive (and appreciative) to miracles, wonders, and signs after witnessing the abundance of miracles God performed to make sure that my mom was numbered among that 2% of survivors. But as I continued reading, God revealed to me the real miracles, wonders and sign He performs every single moment, of every single day in the life of a follower of Jesus Christ. Check it out!!!

MIRACLE WONDERS AND SIGNS
"Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty." Isaiah 6:5

This was Isaiah’s commissioning into service for the Lord. God allowed Him to stand before the heavenly throne and see God face to face – and what was his reaction – “Woe to me I am a man of unclean lips.” Standing face to face with the almighty God would anyone of us have a different reaction?

MIRACLE WONDERS AND SIGNS
“Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have led a blameless life.” Psalm 26:1a

David, led a blameless life? Hah, we know better than that. We know the skeletons in David’s closet. We know about his tendencies for violence, his adulterous affair, and his act of murder. Yet, here he is declaring his innocence for the entire world to see! How does that work?

MIRACLE WONDERS AND SIGNS
So, at this point you might be saying: “you’re losing it Robin, where are the miracles, wonders, and signs?” Can’t see them? Look again. “Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for." (Isaiah 6: 6) I have trusted in the LORD without wavering” (Psalm 26:1b). As marvelous as the miracle healings that happen here on earth are (and I am very grateful that God does them – especially for my mom), the fact that we, like Isaiah and David, can stand before the Holy God and have our guilt taken away and our sin atoned for and can declare that we have trusted the Lord without wavering, is the greatest miracle around. And it’s all because….

“God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” John 3:16-17

Every day I am a walking talking miracle. Every day I must declare that I am a woman of unclean lips living among a people of unclean lips. Yet, I am also a woman who can stand up every day and claim a blameless life, free from guilt and sin, trusting in the Lord without wavering. Why? Not because of anything that I have done, am doing, or will do, but because, miracle of miracles, God loves me and felt I was worth enough to send His Son Jesus to take my guilt, atone for my sins, and work His miracle of faith in my heart. And know what, he didn’t just do it for me – He did it for you, your neighbor, your best friend, and your worst enemy. He did it for the WORLD! How do we respond to THAT miracle; like Isaiah: “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" (Isaiah 6:8) and David, “I wash my hands in innocence, and go about your altar, O LORD, proclaiming aloud your praise and telling of all your wonderful deeds.” (Psalm 26:6-7).

Week ending: June 7, 2009
Holy Trinity

Monday – (Old Testament)
Isaiah 6:1-8
Notice the change in Isaiah’s attitude –

Tuesday – Psalm 26
We can have that same confidence that David has because of Jesus

Wednesday –(Epistle)
Acts 2:14a – 22-36
Focus on Jesus – the author and perfector of your faith

Thursday – (Gospel)
John 3:1-17
The next time you get really mad at someone – think “this is a person that God loves more that than the life of His Son, I guess I can love him/her too.

Friday – Reread Psalm 26:
Can you see yourself as “House where Jesus Lives, and the place where His glory dwells” As Christians we ARE the temple of the Lord, the place where His glory dwells. Does it change how you perceive yourself?

Saturday – SHARE
Share your story with someone you know

Sunday – go to the altar of the Lord, proclaim your praises, and tell of His wonderful deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment